July 2022: New Sidewalk Pick-up Covid-19 PCR Test Kit Program
The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services has partnered with Fulgent Genetics, a provider of COVID-19 PCR test kits and results, and the Los Angeles County Library to offer a new reservation process to obtain test kits for Los Angeles County residents at participating libraries. View article and list of libraries here
Local Community Resources:
- Medicare and SilverSneakers: Several of the Medicare insurance programs have a free benefit called SilverSneakers, anonline exercise, nutrition and balance exercise resource. To check your eligibility, click here
- Santa Monica Accepting Applications from Seniors Needing Financial Assistance The City of Santa Monica is still accepting applications for a program that helps seniors experiencing economic hardship pay for basic needs. More info
- American Red Cross Blood Donations The American Red Cross holds blood drives throughout the year. Click here for more info and to sign up.
- The People Concern provides essential, integrated services to thousands of people experiencing homelessness in Los Angeles County. Download their Help from Home list. View their Helpful Resources list here, and list of Santa Monica local laws.
- Visit the Community Resources COVID-19 webpage for information on WISE and Healthy Aging, and food delivery services.
- Meals on Wheels: mealsonwheelswest.org
- Santa Monica Transportation Service: By MODE
What is MODE? MODE stands for Mobility On Demand Everyday. WISE and Healthy Aging and Big Blue Bus partnered with Lyft to provide curb-to-curb, on-demand transportation for seniors and individuals with disabilities who live in Santa Monica. Most trips on MODE are provided by Lyft, an on-demand ride service that matches you with a nearby driver who will pick you up within minutes.
You may use the service to go anywhere within the Santa Monica city limits. Health care: Visit a doctor, therapist, medical facility and hospital. Education: Take a class, attend school, a lecture or a discussion group. Enjoyment: Visit friends and relatives, church, the movies, the park or any recreational or social activity. Shopping: Go to grocery stores, department stores, the mall or any shopping area in Santa Monica.
They also provide access to the following facilities during regular hours of operation: • UCLA Medical Center, Westwood • Kaiser Medical Centers in West Los Angeles and Culver City/Marina del Rey • V.A. Greater Los Angeles Healthcare Center • Select shopping destinations on Lincoln Blvd. in Venice
Senior Care and Caregiver Resource
Caring.com: Free and informative resource to help families who are looking for either a senior living community or help with in-home care.
Bereavement Community Resources
St. Monica Catholic Church: Santa Monica: Ongoing, dedicated 10 week bereavement support group open to the community: (310) 566-1500
WISE and Healthy Aging: Santa Monica
Bereavement support groups for senior citizens
Contact WISE at (310) 394-9871, extension 373
Cancer Support Community: West Los Angeles : Bereavement support groups for family and friends impacted by cancer: (310)314-2555
Tranquil Hospice Bereavement Support Groups: Santa Monica
Ongoing bereavement support groups open to the community: (310) 264-8413
Grief Haven: Pacific Palisades
Resources and support groups for parents who have lost a child of any age
www.griefhaven.org: (310) 459-1789
Always feel free to contact our Congregation Care Associate, Anne Premer at (310)393-8258 ext 103, if you have questions or would like further information.