“The meaning of life is finding your gift. The purpose of life is giving it away!” – Fr. Justin Grose
COMMUNITY VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
…are available to you through First UMC. Here is a list of some organizations and/or services that First UMC participates in throughout the year:
- Children, Youth and Family Collective
- Habitat for Humanity – Patience House
- Upward Bound House & Home Run for Kids
- Westside Food Bank
WAYS TO SERVE THE FIRST UMC COMMUNITY
Almost everything the church is able to do with and for the community is a direct result of the time and generous hearts of volunteers. Here are just a few opportunities of service within First UMC. For more information fill out the contact form below or call the church office (310) 393-8258.
- Blood Drive & Flu Clinic – Assist the Health Council Ministry with these annual community events.
- Community Meal – Break bread with our neighbors at Family Place for this fun, monthly potluck.
- Fellowship & Events – Join this committee that helps create, manage and celebrate church events and is always looking for new ways to bring various groups within the church together in fellowship, including members of the local community.
- Messy Church – An inter-generational church experience where we learn about God’s love through crafts, activities, story and a shared meal.
- Vacation Bible School – Adults as well as youth in grades 6th – 12th are welcome to volunteer!
- Youth Service Project – Every summer the junior high and high school youth participate in a week of service in a struggling community in the United States.
Sunday Volunteer Opportunities
- Altar Guild – Prepare the altar for Sunday worship and various events; Time obligation: half hour before and/or after service; once per month.
- Bible Study – Be a leader at the 9 a.m. Lectionary Bible Study class on Sunday.
- Pew Crew – Tidy and replenish the pews prior to Sunday worship. Family “crews” make the work fast and fun. All ages are welcome! Time obligation: one hour; once per month.
- Sunday School – Teachers and subs needed year round.
- Ushers – Assist church guests before, during, and after worship service. Time obligation: one hour; once per month.
- Welcome Ambassadors – Get to know the church community while being a Sunday morning greeter and welcoming hand. Time obligation: half hour before and after service; once per quarter.