“The meaning of life is finding your gift. The purpose of life is giving it away!” – Fr. Justin Grose
COMMUNITY VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES are available to you through First UMC. Here is a list of some organizations and/or services that First UMC participates in throughout the year:
- Big Sunday
- Children, Youth and Family Collective
- Imagine No Malaria
- Stop Hunger Now
- Upward Bound House & Home Run for Kids
- Westside Food Bank
WAYS TO SERVE THE FIRST UMC COMMUNITY
Almost everything the church is able to do with and for the community is a direct result of the time and generous hearts of volunteers. Here are just a few opportunities of service within First UMC. For more information fill out the contact form below or call the church office (310) 393-8258.
- Altar Guild – Prepare the altar for Sunday worship and various events; Time obligation: half hour before and/or after service; once per month.
- Blood Drive & Flu Clinic – Assist the Health Ministry with these annual community events.
- Children’s After School Theater
- Habitat for Humanity – Join the First UMC team to fund and build a home in Culver City for a family in need.
- Haiti Mission – Every year a team of First UMC adult members are sent to live and serve in the country of Haiti.
- Pew Crew – Tidy and replenish the pews prior to Sunday worship. Family “crews” make the work fast and fun. All ages are welcome! Time obligation: one hour; once per month.
- Sunday School – Teachers and subs needed year round.
- Community Meal – Break bread with our neighbors at Family Place for this fun, monthly potluck.
- Ushers – Assist church guests before, during, and after worship service. Time obligation: one hour; once per month.
- Vacation Bible School – Adults as well as youth in grades 6th – 12th are welcome to volunteer!
- Welcome Ambassadors – Get to know the church community while being a Sunday morning greeter and welcoming hand. Time obligation: half hour before service; once per quarter.
- Youth Service Project – Every summer the junior high and high school youth participate in a week of service in a struggling community in the United States.