Welcome to the First United Methodist Church Preschool!
It is our philosophy that each child learns naturally through play and exploration in a stimulating environment that promotes physical, mental, emotional, social, creative and spiritual growth. Individual differences are recognized and celebrated as children grow and gain knowledge in all areas of development. It is our commitment to our families to prepare each child to move smoothly to their next level of learning while in a safe, fun, creative and loving environment. We believe that each child’s success depends on strong partnerships between parents, teachers and community. (Adapting current theories of care and education as well as continuous education for parents and teachers to incorporate these practices is essential to the success of our program.)
The Preschool was started in 1948 and over the years has gained the reputation as one of the finest in the city.
First UMC Preschool is more than a school. It is a community of parents, teachers and staff to whom the children’s health, safety and well-being is the highest priority. To that end…
Our Commitment is:
- To treat all as children of God, deserving of unconditional respect, patience and love – regardless of faith or religious practices.
- To make our school a happy, vibrant, fun, energetic, and joyful place.
- To promote and safeguard the physical, emotional and spiritual well-being of all.
- To foster a positive, peaceful environment, free from judgment and intolerance.
- To explore, embrace and celebrate our individuality and our differences.
- To treat all with care, cooperation and creativity.
All in accordance with the highest standards of our community and our profession.
Preschool License # 191600232
We are thrilled to announce First UMC of Santa Monica is fully accredited by the NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children). It is a rigorous national program that represents the mark of quality in early childhood education by expecting quality schools to meet and adhere to standards in ten different areas. Their primary goal provides an evaluation system to raise the bar for early childhood programs. We started this eighteen month process in 2016 and just received confirmation that we are one of only twelve preschools in Santa Monica with this special accreditation.
1. Promoting positive relationships between children and teachers
2. Implementing a curriculum that supports learning
3. Teaching that supports curriculum goals
4. Establishing a system of assessment for children’s learning
5. Promoting the health of children
6. Employing teachers who have a professional commitment
7. Maintaining relationships with families
8. Identifying community resources to support goals
9. Maintaining a safe physical environment
10. Having program management follow policies to maintain high-quality experiences for children, families, and staff.
We are proud to exceed the standards of this national organization. Congratulations to our Director, Batsheva Spector, Assistant to the Director, Dane Rold, Consultant, Mary De La Rosa, and all teachers! Well done!
See more at www.NAEYC.org